CSPS Translation unit provides translation services in most national languagues of South Sudan.
We currently offer translation services to the following entities:
- Government Inistitutions
- Non Governmental Organizations
- Private Entities
- Academic Inistitutions
CSPS TRANSLATION GUIDELINES AND PRINCIPLES
Definition of Translation
Translation is an art of recognition and response to another person or language. Translation is carried out to the point between Languages, where differences are nearly comprehended.
Translation Guidelines and Principles
- Use of full resources and vocabulary of the target language
- Where there is no word or phrase in the source language, the translator must translate the concept.
- Ideas, not words, should be translated
- Translation should neither add any fact to the original, nor omit them.
- The translator thoughts and choice of words must be molded by the original text.
- Translation must communicate as clearly and naturally as possible
- Translation must be done with attention to the sensitivities and experience of the receptor
- The translator must understand the text and context before translation
- The translator must give meaning to translation by transferring the original meaning
- The translator must be attentive to serious and high quality translation when dealing with complex texts.
- Do not translate literally
- Keep an eagle eye on typos which may creep in
- Translation must be consistent at all time
- Use consistent capitalization
- Use natural expressions, especially when thinking in two languages
- Keep sentences brief
- The style and manner of writing should be the same character as that of original
- The translation should have the ease of the original composition
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
To qualify as a freelance translator with CSPS, the candidate must possess the following:
- Translation qualifications or relevant experience
- Proven ability to produce accurate translation from English to the national language of competent or any other international language
- Fluency in English and national language (reading, writing and speaking)
- Willingness to learn and develop translation skills
- Ability to manage resources including time and task
- Ability to work under pressure and deliver to deadlines
- Understanding of service delivery and customs needs
- Excellent in IT skills, Windows, MS Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Experience in technical translation, using specialist vocabulary
- Understanding of different cultures
- Able to maintain confidentiality
- Broad general knowledge